Friday, March 23, 2012

Lessons In Safety

There have been these pictures going around Facebook of a man who attempted to kidnap a child at an arcade in one of the SM Malls.  While the mom was paying for groceries the child went to the arcade nearby with her yaya.  It totally freaked me out.  I usually do groceries at SM Hypermart and many, many times Aiden runs to get an ice cream or hangs in the kids area of the grocery with his yaya while I'm giving the Sy's more money that they don't really need paying. 

I showed Aiden the pictures and explained to him how a child was almost kidnapped by the man in the picture.  I tell him that they were in the grocery just like us and the child was playing with his yaya while while the mom was paying just like us.  So I give him the lowdown of how it is crucial that he never speak to strangers.  Even if they say they know him from school or they know me or they are the living incarnation of Holy Trinity.  He should also never accept anything from anyone unless I say he can.  Even if it is a a whole pack of Oreos or new toy penguin or a gazillion bucks.  If he is approached by a persistent stranger he should scream as loud as he can until the stranger leaves.  He nods, nods and nods.  I decide to test him.

Me:  If you are in the mall and a man tells you he is my friend, do you talk to him?

Aiden: No!  I will go away.

Kidnappers - 0,  Guerreros - 1

Me:  If you are watching a movie in the kids area and a woman tells you that I am looking for you and she will bring you to me, will you go with her?

Aiden:  No, only you or yaya.

Kidnappers - 0, Guerreros - 2


Me:  What if you are in the arcade and a stranger tells you he will give you froyo with chocolate chip and marshamallow toppings, what do you do?

Aiden:  Yum! I love froyo with chocolate chop and marshmallow toppings!

Face palm!  I guess we're going to have to start all over again.

9 comments:

  1. Scary na talaga ang panahon ngayon. I usually talk more of the safety precautions to my 2 pre-teens. Until now, yan rule na don't talk to strangers, that is my número uno rule. And yung pinasusundo ka ng parents mo, I tell them kaya nga may cell phone kayo. Haaay. Pero I got so Aliw to the last part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should also test the yaya. Very disturbed ako sa mga ganyang news. Meron din tungkol dun sa muntikan na makidnap sa Puregold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, yes! Pinagsabihan ko na si Yaya. She is very trustworthy but you never how convincing these kidnappers can be.

      Delete
  3. Scary talaga these stories. I'm going to sound very old saying this but I remember being able to walk to Greenhills with my cousins when I was tween and there was no need to worry about anything. Now even in a gated village you have to worry about carnappings and the dugo dugo gang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally remember (sneaking out) walking along Ortigas either to get sago or Coney Island cones in Unimart or to go to Tropical Hut for whatever cheap thrills we had in mind. I have this image of Aiden screaming at the top of his lungs - it's brilliant! And that scowl of his will surely unnerve any bad egg.

    Maybe he should revisit his famous lines a la "you're not allowed to talk to me!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so over that you're-not-allowed-to-talk-to-me phase. Now he loves talking to strangers. He goes up to random people and introduces himself, he asks waiters for water and more bread , he even asks security guards how many bad guys have they caught. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Wow, Aiden the politician, who knew?! As in "Hi, I am Aiden Guerrero." That kind of introduction?

      I love it, you can tell him that if he thinks someone is a bad guy, he should tell the security guards. Or better yet, he can help the security guards catch bad guys by screaming out loud.

      Delete
  5. Nice finally meeting you the other day during our play date Rone! Although we weren't formally introduced nor got the chance to talk. Anyway I read that post on Facebook, totally freaked me out. While my daughter is still young and is still under the phase of enjoying grocery time with mom & dad, I'm sure when she gets older she'll slowly sneak her way out to the nearest "fun" place in order to trade doing the grocery with us. So it helps to read posts such as yours & Kris' (OC Mom) on how to train kids when it comes to situations like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Jackie! Next time we'll introduce ourselves nalang. Hahaha. First those pictures then today a shooting at Robinson's Galleria. WILD!

      Delete